Good morning Sailors!
The Summers Series is upon us and this evening will begin with the 1st of 9 scheduled Races. The Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions are posted on the website. Please review and make sure you are prepared to start the season.
A couple of reminders for all racers:
Weather – The CSYC Board of Directors is constantly monitoring the weather and will wait as long as possible to cancel a race as the weather can change quickly at Chatfield, and we want to respect the time and effort all members have put into preparing to race.
It is always the Skippers responsibility to decide to race, just because some boats decide to go, doesn’t mean all boats should go. Evaluate your skill level and that of your crew, along with the conditions and make sure everyone is prepared and comfortable to go.
Be Prepared – Watch the forecast and start your preparation before you arrive at the lake and get on your boat. Make sure you have appropriate gear for the potential conditions, and that the gear you may need is readily accessible.
- Give yourself time to Check in with RC. This is a great first step to understanding the current conditions on the water and getting comfortable sailing around other boats.
- Stay clear of the starting area if it’s not your start.
- Watch the Course Board – RC can change the course up until the Prep flag goes up, that’s the 4 minute signal.
- Have a plan for the start – Understand the wind direction, wind speed, and where the other boats in your start are planning to be. You may not get what you want, be ready to change course!
- Look ahead / Plan ahead – make sure you and your crew are looking for crossings with other boats and make a plan for Mark roundings before you get there.
- Radio – Make sure it’s on and someone on your boat can hear it.
- Safety – Safety First, help other competitors in distress.
– Chatfield State Park VHF Ch.16 – 303-791-7275
– Douglas County Sheriff – 303-660-7505
– Jefferson County Sheriff – 303-277-0211
- Be Patient with the Race Committee – We all do this once or twice a year, we’re not professionals.
- We will wait for decent wind to start a race. Enjoy the time on the water, sometimes the best wind doesn’t fill in until 7:00 or later.
- US Sailing Basic Principal #1 – Sportsmanship and the Rules – Everyone needs to know the rules and help others learn what they don’t know in a friendly manner.
I’m looking forward to a great Summer Series with you all!